Welcome to Christy’s Kitchen
Sean loves to have a muffin in the morning before he goes to work; so to change things up a bit for him I decided a breakfast cake was in order. (NOTE TO SELF: Blueberries will fall out of your basket if you put them upside down in the grocery store) Making a breakfast cake is actually pretty simple especially if you are good at keeping your staple materials at home (Flour, Sugar, ext…) Here’s what you need…
Ingredients: Serves 6-8
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
7/8 cup* + 1 tablespoon sugar**
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour (set aside 1/4 cup of this to toss with the blueberries)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 cups fresh blueberries
½ cup buttermilk
* 7/8 cup = 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons
** This 1 tablespoon is for sprinkling on top
Simple enough right!?!?! So once you have all your ingredients in your house (yes I had to go buy eggs and buttermilk, we are not really an egg eating family when I can’t stand the smell of them right now) get ready to make some super yummy breakfast cake. The best part about the whole thing is that its only about a 15 min prep time before you have it in the oven. (Another NOTE TO SELF: remember to read all the directions and not skip over any like step two which is kind of really important) So here is what you do…
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
2. Cream butter with and 7/8 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
4. Meanwhile, toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour, then whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
5. Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the blueberries.
6. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan (or something similar) with butter or coat with non-stick spray. Spread batter into pan. Sprinkle batter with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness. If necessary, return pan to oven for a couple of more minutes. (Note: Baking for as long as 10 minutes more might be necessary.) Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
That’s it nice and simple and yet super delicious. Hope you enjoy!!